Stretch marks on the skin can affect you whether you’re a woman or man, a growing teenager experiencing rapid weight gain, or a fit bodybuilding enthusiast. Also known as striae, stretch marks are reddish or whitish depressed linear streaks on the skin.
At Pima Dermatology, we understand that these marks are not always welcome and that they can make you feel very self-conscious. However, our skin specialists, led by our team of board-certified dermatologists, have the skill and experience to reduce these unwanted skin marks and make your skin look tighter and smoother for an improved appearance.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks develop due to rapid weight gain or muscle expansion. Specifically, the dermis literally splits, which creates inflamed tissue that leads to linear depressions we call stretch marks. Initially, stretch marks are pinkish red for several months before turning into whitish streaks.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Stretch Mark Treatment?
If you’re like many people, you may think first of women with pregnancy stretch marks, which develop on the abdomen and breasts. Although this is common, other candidates include:
- Bodybuilders with stretch marks on their arms, chest, and legs
- Adolescents with stretched skin on various parts of the body because of rapid growth spurts
- People who’ve undergone sudden, rapid weight gain with marks on their stomach, flanks, and other areas
What Is Stretch Mark Skin Rejuvenation?
Stretch marks can be addressed with treatments designed to tone and tighten the skin. Although results vary, the goal is to improve stretch marks, as it can be very difficult to completely eliminate them. The most effective products are those that not only firm and smooth the skin but also help repair the damaged skin as well as stimulate collagen growth for better rejuvenation.
If you find stretch marks have developed, particularly for the aforementioned reasons, contact us for a private, one-on-one consultation to determine your aesthetic goals and to find out which treatment is right for you.
The Pima Dermatology Approach to Stretch Mark Treatment
For minor stretch marks, treatments such as glycolic creams and retinoids can repair skin damage and stimulate new collagen production.
For moderate to severe stretch marks, therapies that address surface issues as well as go deep into the skin are more effective. These include laser skin toning and/or resurfacing along with various other light and/or energy sources. These correct structural issues in the skin.
Among the treatments we offer include:
- Pulsed Dye Lasers (Vbeam) – ideal for targeting superficial dermal vessels to create heat that stimulates collagen.
- Infrared Lasers (Gentle: YAG Sciton and Smoothbeam) – for deep penetration and targeting of water in the dermis for collagen stimulation.
- Fractional Lasers (Palomar Starlux) – a unique microscopic array of controlled laser pulses into the skin for skin tightening and smoothing with minimal visible skin wounding.
- SmartXide DOT™ laser – ideal for a variety of skin types due to its Dermal Optical Thermolysis (DOT) Therapy, it addresses skin laxity, smooths rough texture, and improves skin tone.
Benefits of Stretch Mark Treatment at Pima Dermatology
Our team of board-certified dermatologists has the training, experience, and knowledge to help address your stretch marks. Once they discuss your condition and learn your cosmetic goals, they will tailor a treatment plan designed specifically for you that improves your skin tone, texture, and laxity for better-looking skin and a rejuvenated appearance.
Don’t Suffer from Unwanted Stretch Marks Any Longer – Contact Pima Dermatology
You don’t need to endure stretch marks, so contact our skin specialists at Pima Dermatology online or call our practice in Tucson to schedule a consultation.
Next, learn about acne scarring.